[yocto] dev manual is confusing as to whether a layer *must* be named "meta-..."

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Dec 30 08:10:43 PST 2012

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012, Bill Traynor wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
>         section 5.1.1 of dev manual:
>
>       "Folders that are layers begin with the string meta."
>
>         section 5.1.2, immediately afterwards:
>
>       "Traditionally, prepend the name of the folder with the string meta."
>
>         those two statements are somewhat contradictory.
>

> The first statement is in a paragraph describing the identification
> of a layer within the Source directory, i.e. its name begins with
> "meta".
>
> The second statement is describing the naming of the folder that
> will contain a new layer, i.e. pre-pend the name with "meta".
>
> I'm not sure I see the contradiction here.  Can you explain?

  the (as i see it) inconsistency is that it's not clear whether a
layer name *must* begin with the prefix "meta-".  if one says that
something happens "traditionally", that suggests it's not mandatory,
simply a matter of custom.

  i'd prefer that that section was explicit.  you can never go wrong
being explicit. :-)

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca