[yocto] what's the rationale for kern-tools-native bbappend in poky-extras?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 10:14:18 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>  i just noticed, in the poky-extras layer,
> kern-tools-native_git.bbappend, which describes itself as for "local
> kern-tools work".
>
>   is there a use case for this?  oe-core already supplies
> kern-tools-native, and that bbappend appears to simply let the
> developer work with the head of kern-tools rather than a fixed SRCREV.
>
>   so is it just providing the ability to work with the dev source for
> developers who want the bleeding edge?

Pretty much, it provides the ability to point at a local git tree, and
turns on
AUTOREV. Something that I always use, and something that anyone else
doing local work could use as well (not that they can't just create their
own
bbappend to do the same thing, but it doesn't hurt to have it sitting
there).

Cheers,

Bruce

> rday

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"