[yocto] Git tag systematics ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 19 11:23:24 PST 2012

Dear Elizabeth,

In message <CAPhnLPBXsYcNDeKsW6xBLjSrJunHUDtkRohR_aHtU9PysQMLhg at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > However, there is no such release tag as "danny-8.0".
>
> You are correct. That was an oversight on my part. I've corrected it.

Thanks.

Is there some formal procedure in place how git release tags are
assigned, and when?

> > What is the system in this numbering / tagging?
>
> Milestones: 1.x_My.rcz
> Major releases: 1.x and they should also get the name-x.y.z tag

Thanks again - but is there any documetn somehere on the web pages or
in the wiki that actually says what the name of the next release will
be, and which branch it is being worked on?

> > Releated:  is there any document which explains the branch names being
> > used for development.  for example, how can I find out ("officially")
> > what the branch name for Yocto 1.4 will be / is ?
>
> When Richard tells me :)

We have a "1.4_M1.final" tag in the "1.4_M1" branch, and I see similar
"1.x_My" branches for the other releases.  When will some "name-..."
branch become visible?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Lots of people drink from the wrong bottle sometimes.
	-- Edith Keeler, "The City on the Edge of Forever",
	   stardate unknown