[yocto] Git tag systematics ?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Dec 18 03:35:44 PST 2012

On 15 December 2012 13:22, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> can anybody explain to me the systematics of the git tags ysed to mark
> the Yocto / Poky releases?
>
> For example, for Yocto 1.2 and before, we have release tags like
> denzil-7.0, edison-6.0, bernard-5.0, laverne-4.0, etc.
>
> Some parts of the current 1.3 Yocto release refer to it as "Poky 8.0"
> or Version "8.0 Danny", see for example here:
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/download/yocto-project-13-poky-80
>
> However, there is no such release tag as "danny-8.0".
>
> Instead, there is a tag "1.3" - but there are no similar tags as "1.1"
> or "1.2" for the earlier releases?
>

> What is the system in this numbering / tagging?

I think the problem is that there isn't a system - there's a mix of tag naming.

If you know the name of a release and the corresponding oe-core/Poky
versions all the tags are present, but that's not ideal.

> Releated:  is there any document which explains the branch names being
> used for development.  for example, how can I find out ("officially")
> what the branch name for Yocto 1.4 will be / is ?

The name for 1.4 is top top secret until the release.  It will be
decided by Richard and he keeps it a mystery until the release.

The names are in themes, the Inky / Clyde / Blinky series is easily
googlable, as is Laverne / Bernard / Edison.  Denzil and Danny, well,
Richard thought he told me what the theme was but I can't remember and
he won't tell me again. :(

Ross