[yocto] per-image ROOTFS sizes

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Thu Dec 13 09:42:26 PST 2012

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Saul Wold wrote:
>
>> Some serious magic!  It took me a while to reload my cache on this one.
>>
>> All strapped in because here we go!
>>
>> So you have selected the types of images you want to build by add
>> it's type to IMAGE_FSTYPES, of which you can have multiple types.
>
>    a minor nit but i used meta-yocto to configure for a beagle and used
> bitbake-env to display the default value of IMAGE_FSTYPES:
>
> $ bitbake-env IMAGE_FSTYPES
> IMAGE_FSTYPES=" tar.bz2 jffs2"
> $
>
> so far, so good.  but then i simply *assigned* (not added) in
> local.conf:
>
> IMAGE_FSTYPES = "vmdk"
>
> and checked again ... ???
>
> $ bitbake-env IMAGE_FSTYPES
> IMAGE_FSTYPES="vmdk tar.bz2 jffs2"
> $
>
>    um ... huh?  which is explained by the following inconsistent
> collection of assignments in poky:

Good catch, I think some make sense and other should be fixed.

> $ grep -r "IMAGE_FSTYPES.*=" *
> meta/conf/bitbake.conf:IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= "tar.gz"
Base assignment for default, of course it should ?=

> meta/conf/machine/include/ia32-base.inc:IMAGE_FSTYPES += "ext3 cpio.gz live"
> meta/conf/machine/include/qemu.inc:IMAGE_FSTYPES += "tar.bz2 ext3"
These make sense as += it allows the DISTRO and/or user to add more types.

> meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb:IMAGE_FSTYPES = "${INITRAMFS_FSTYPES}"
initramfs will only need the cpio.gz there for set it directly

> meta/recipes-core/images/build-appliance-image.bb:IMAGE_FSTYPES = "vmdk"
build appliance only needs 1 fs types so set it directly.

> meta-yocto/conf/distro/poky-tiny.conf:IMAGE_FSTYPES = "ext2 cpio.gz"
again small custom image this is a DISTRO setting

> meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine/beagleboard.conf:IMAGE_FSTYPES += "tar.bz2 jffs2"
As the qemu and ia32 add correct fs types for beagleboard.

> meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine/routerstationpro.conf:IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= "jffs2 tar.bz2"
> meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine/atom-pc.conf:IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= "ext3 cpio.gz live"
I would think that += would be better here, I would welcome a patch!

> scripts/lib/bsp/substrate/target/arch/mips/conf/machine/{{=machine}}.conf:IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= "jffs2 tar.bz2"
Looks like these followed the pattern of the base machine, but I think
this should be +=, a patch would be welcome!

Sau!