[yocto] adding package management

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Dec 12 09:13:59 PST 2012

On 12/12/12 6:07 AM, Tim Coote wrote:
> ok. Thanks.
>
> just spotted the split between rpm / rpm5 and yum. I suppose that the knock on is managing multiple repos for different update managers.
>
> don't suppose you know if there are material differences from a packaging/dependency point of view between rpm4 and rpm5?

Generated packages are more or less compatible.  The only big difference is that
all RPM5 packages are 'self-signed' to integrity purposes.  Self-signing is
better then simply md5sums.  (They of course can also be signed with a specific
key to indicate trust as well.)

But the primary difference is in cross compiling and support for the activities
that we need when cross-constructing root filesystems and such.  There is also
an aspect of 'control' behind this.  We have input into the RPM5 development, in
RPM4 we have absolutely no influence and they have removed everything that
helped in a cross-compiled environment after the split.

> is there an eta for smart in the mainstream core?

Hopefully the next version of the integration patches should be sent up today.
We're really trying to get the code in by next week.

--Mark