[yocto] building for ZYNQ ZC702 SoC

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 07:18:25 PST 2012

Hi Anup,
                Atleast two people on the yocto mailing list have successfully built the toolchain and rootfile system for the ZC702, Philip Balister and myself, using the latest yocto master.

Here are a few steps:

01. Look up the Yocto Quick Start Guide to setup your Ubuntu 12.10 x86 64-bit host development environment.

02. Use Philip Balister's meta-zynq layer located here, and add it to your bblayer.conf file

https://github.com/balister/meta-zynq

$ gedit conf/bblayers.conf

# LAYER_CONF_VERSION is increased each time build/conf/bblayers.conf
# changes incompatibly
LCONF_VERSION = "5"

BBPATH = "${TOPDIR}"
BBFILES ?= ""

BBLAYERS ?= " \
  /tool/yocto/poky/meta \
  /tool/yocto/poky/meta-yocto \
  /tool/yocto/meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer \
  /tool/yocto/meta-zynq \
  "

03. Updated your yocto local.conf file as follows:

#
# Xilinx target board configuration.
#
# Set the target machine details
MACHINE ?= "zynq-zc702"
# Set Xilinx Platform Studio hardware project path
XILINX_BSP_PATH ?= "/project/xilinx-zc702"
# Set target board
XILINX_BOARD ?= "zc702"

04. Download the souces

$ cd /tool/yocto/poky
$ source oe-init-build-env build

### Shell environment set up for builds. ###

You can now run 'bitbake <target>'

Common targets are:
    core-image-minimal
    core-image-sato
    meta-toolchain
    meta-toolchain-sdk
    adt-installer
    meta-ide-support

You can also run generated qemu images with a command like 'runqemu qemux86'

$ bitbake -c fetchall core-image-minimal

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.16.0"
TARGET_ARCH       = "arm"
TARGET_OS         = "linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE           = "zynq-zc702"
DISTRO            = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.3+snapshot-20121025"
TUNE_FEATURES     = "armv7a vfp neon cortexa9"
TARGET_FPU        = "vfp-neon"
meta
meta-yocto        = "master:33440ee70623394d06a4b214c2be10788cba6d08"
toolchain-layer   = "master:55855cd569fbff7182974ca08b1de8435bf0f597"
meta-zynq-balister = "master-xilinx-zc702-gcc-4.7:d168cea411034d1f1530e4eacf6eb3ce4affd1c8"

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
NOTE: Preparing runqueue
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks

05. Build the toolchain

$ cd /tool/yocto/poky
$ source oe-init-build-env build
$ bitbake meta-toolchain

06. Build the image

$ bitbake core-image-minimal

07. Use Xilinx PlanAhead 14.3 software design too to create your hardware design.

The only additional step you need to perform is to use the Xilinx PlanAhead software, to export you hardware to the Xilinx SDK, and use the SDK to generate and build the Zynq First Stage Bootloader (zynq_fsbl). After that, create a boot image by using the Xilinx tool menu option, and include the u-boot.elf, system.bit and zynq_fsbl.elf.

Use the scripts in XAPP792 to download the kernel and bootable image to the target using XMD. Or rename the u-boot.bin file to BOOT.bin, copy the uImage generated from the yocto build, and it should all work.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson