[yocto] Boot failure when adding the meta-oe layer

Zach Tibbitts zachtib at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 09:54:57 PST 2012

I'm working on an embedded Linux platform for work to run an app that's
written with Gtk+3. The hardware in question is a Sandy Bridge Core i3
platform. With a vanilla Yocto build, I can boot an image just fine (I've
tested with core-image-basic, core-image-minimal, and core-image-x11) and
everything seems to work; I can even install it to the internal drive
without issue.

I found recipes for Gtk+3, as well as some of our other dependencies in the
meta-oe layer from the meta-openembedded repository. However, just adding
these layers and rebuilding any of the images that I've built (without
actually adding any new recipes) cause the image to hang when run on
hardware (but oddly enough not in QEMU).

The last line printed before the bootup apparently stops is along the lines
of: "sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk", and the line that
seems most at fault is a little farther up, "/init: line 69: udevd: not
found". If needed, I can try to capture more of the output, maybe with a
camera, I'm not sure of an easy way to pastebin the output from hardware...

What I'm wondering is if this is a known issue, or if meta-openembedded
isn't meant to be used in conjunction with Yocto. My assumption is that
something from meta-oe is superceeding a recipe in Yocto and causing this
failure.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

--
Zach Tibbitts