[yocto] Need for offline binary configuration

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Dec 5 13:12:18 PST 2012

My apologies for the late response.  See below, I'll follow up on your second
email as well...

On 11/20/12 9:09 AM, Venkata ramana gollamudi wrote:
> Poky allows to build custom Linux for you, but we have cases where the post
> build customization is required, like user-addition, network configuration,
> service control. Even selecting the required packages can be a post build activity.

One of the objectives that we are currently working toward is being able to
start with the package feed (doesn't matter if it's rpm, deb or ipk files),
generate a rootfs, configure the rootfs and then deploy the rootfs into an image.

The above should be able to be done on both a cross-configured environment or on
the target via a traditional installer like mechanism.

> The current model requires the image to be rebuilt to support these configuration.

The current model can avoid many of the tasks associated with the build by using
sstate-cache, but I agree that is not optimal for users who want to start with a
known set of binaries and then tailor from that point.  (This includes users
expecting a more traditional Linux install experience or users who need
immutable software from an upstream vendor.)

> Offline Configuration tool (OCT), which allows a binary image customization
> before making a final target image. This case will be more evident in larger
> companies, where platform teams, product teams , application teams are
> distributed and Linux build from source will be owned and lab tested by a single
> team, like platform team. Other teams just configure to use it for product
> variants from same platform build.

This was factored into the work we are doing.  I know many companies have an
outside OSV that provides the build environment, support, etc.. and they feed
into an Operating Systems group (or similar).  This group then prepares the
software according to the corporate guidelines (license restrictions, quality
assurance, etc) and repackages it for consumption by others in the organization.
  Often time the output of the Operating System group is either a blessed source
based system -- or a set of binaries that are blessed as being in conformance
with that companies guidelines.  This process repeats through the platform group
and even individual projects -- with the eventual output being a product image
including the blessed binaries, custom applications and configurations -- and a
matching SDK.

> Detailed use cases can be found in enhancement bug:3252
>
> OCT should work on the binary pool of compiled packages generated from poky.
>
> The basic operations that can be supported includes

For the next section, I'm going to assume the pool of binary packages is what we
refer to as the package feeds in OpenEmbedded.  This is simple a collection of
binary packages that have been built from the build system that can be used to
construct the rootfs.  Each package feed is constructed based on a single
"distribution" configuration file which sets the policies for the packages in
the feed and distribution wide options, such as selinux, pam, etc.

> a) Select/deselect required packages from pool of binary packages into final target image.

The above is definitely considered in the work we've been talking about.  This
will require software that will take a list of the available items in the feed,
present the user/developer with a way to enable the components they want on the
target.  (Note, there is an inherit requirement here that dependencies also be
met, so things the user/developer may not have selected will either have to be
installed to meet dependencies or will have to generate an error that
dependencies can't be met.)

> b) Provision to select external binary packages like ADT compiled applications as input and add them to final target image.

As long as the external package is in the same format as the rest of the feeds,
this should be easy to do.  And I certainly expect that it will be needed.

> c) Binary level Offline configuration can includes
>        Configure the users/passwords
>        Configure the network
>        Configure the host name
>        Select the services to be started by default

The above are things we've talked about, but I don't believe there have been any
formal plans to implement them at this time.  The components necessary for the
binary package based install -> rootfs generation have taken up most of our
planning time at this point.

One thing I would love to see is a set of standard components (or a framework)
that could be used for this type of configuration.  But I believe it's very
important that the configuration work both within the OpenEmbedded environment
and externally in the "installer" like environment.

>        Security related configuration

This is something that I don't believe has really been addressed at all, but
like the above we need a way to implement it.

>        Generate initrd in ramfs/ext3/... format
>        etc..

We are already considering how to go from rootfs to deployable image.  initrd
just happens to be one of many potential image types.  We've specified hard disk
image (partition map, bootloader, individual partitions that comprise one or
more rootfs).  A flash based image -- instruction for flashing, and individual
flash 'partitions' that will work similarly to the hard drive.  A CD/DVD/USB
based bootable system.  And finally as a component of these an initrd rootfs
that can be used as a component of the others are separately to instantiate the
system before handing off control to one of the other types.

We have a huge advantage in OE that we can generate multiple rootfses from a
given distribution configuration, we just don't currently have the tooling to
put those rootfses together into the various images.  I know Darren Hart at
Intel is working on some of the ground work for the hard disk style images.

> Considering the methods to support these in our current yocto model, following changes can be done.

The first thing we would like to see is a -single- rootfs creation model for all
of the modes.  Build system, cross-install, and target-based-install.  The way
that I'm approaching this right now is by attempting to abstract out just the
rootfs generation capabilities within the current build system.  The intention
is that you will be able to access interfaces to get a list of whats available
to be installed, (what may be already installed,) a way to pass what to install
and where to the environment.  Then the same code will be executed to perform
these actions.  The actions will be designed to be package type agnostic as well.

Early R&D work is going on there, just to see if I can come up with something
reasonable.

> 1) HOB can be the tool which can be extended to support these
>      Poky can generate a binary package pool as one if its output and Hob can work on this package pool to select packages, configure and generate image.
> So HOB can support opening HOB in Binary(or OCT) mode i.e., without build options but only with binary package selection. Configuration GUI needs to be added to HOB.
> Note:HOB+OCT is together or separate, needs a bit more thought and overall organization as they will be intended for different users.

I'm not sure HOB itself is the right tool for this, but there are certainly
facets of HOB that would be needed in this kind of tool.  The package selection,
etc.

> 2) Binary package pool can be a minimal/partial sstate-cache, as complete sstate-cache is quite big and not required for product teams as they are not expected to build but just need to select and configure.
>      I think it is sufficient to keep the minimal binaries from sstate-cache which are required to execute image.bbclass, do_rootfs task to generate image.

There are multiple steps of binary package pool, each I think are valid.  For
someone wanting a source based system, with prebuilt binaries that can be
locally modified -- sstate-cache is by far the best way to do this.  For an
applications group that needs to generate images and SDKs, but is never allowed
to use anything but the corporate blessed binary packages, a different mechanism
(package based) is likely what is needed.  There is a lot of area though where
either method may be needed (or desired).

My experience shows people familiar with traditional workstation based systems
prefer the binary RPM approach, while hard-core embedded developers prefer
source based systems.  The reality is the world has fewer hard-code embedded
developers and more folks used to the traditional environments, add to that the
capabilities of today's embedded systems and it makes sense for a lot of people
to start with blessed binaries, tailored for embedded systems, and simple add
their integration of applications and configurations after.

> 3) Along with specific configuration UI implementation, a generic configuration model similar to kernel kconfig and menuconfig can be considered, in cases where more detailed offline configurations is required like detailed security configuration.

This is absolutely need, but I think we need to get the general rootfs
generation working and figured out before we spend too much time on this.
However, if this is a high priority for you, it may make sense to start working
on configuration.  This is something that is definitely needed, and I don't
believe anyone is actively working on.

--Mark