[yocto] sysroot for use with GDB

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Dec 5 11:32:13 PST 2012

On 12/5/12 6:38 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> nobody here who could help out?
>
> In message <20121203124234.6327B200FF8 at gemini.denx.de> I wrote:
>>
>> according to the documentation [1] the right way to debug applications
>> on the target is to load the target library information in GDB using
>>
>> 	set solib-absolute-prefix /path/to/tmp/rootfs
>>
>> i. e. referring it to the libraries in the target root file system
>> image.  Assuming the target root file system uses by defualt stripped
>> libraries, we need to set up a copy of the rootfs with debug
>> information included.
>>
>> But do we really have to?  Why cannot we use the libraries present in
>> the SDK's sysroot directory (i. e. what OECORE_TARGET_SYSROOT points
>> to) ?
>
> It appears that documentation and code are inconsistent; at least the
> eclipse plugin generates a .gdbinit script which contains a
>
> 	set sysroot /opt/poky/1.3/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi
>
> statement, i. e. it uses OECORE_TARGET_SYSROOT as I thought should
> work - but it doesn't.
>
>> Trying to do so, we see that it fails.  Our current suspicion is that
>> maybe prelinking of the target images and libraries introduces some
>> incompatibility.  Is this a reasonable assumption, and if so, is this
>> a problem that should be fixed, or unavoidable for some reason?  Or is
>> there a problem with the libraries in OECORE_TARGET_SYSROOT ?

Prelinking should not cause a problem.  GDB knows how to translate the debuginfo
addresses to the end runtime addresses.

The only thing I've seen in the past that has caused a problem is when the dbg
stuff was not installed into the sysroot.  GDB will fall back into loading the
binaries from the sysroot, which will not contain the debug info causing problems.

It's best if you can set the sysroot to the same filesystem as being executed,
but if you can't this is reasonable.