[yocto] mail list for Xilinx Zynq platform?

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 06:42:13 PST 2012

Hi,

On Dec 5, 2012, at 5:21 PM, Andreas Schweigstill <andreas at schweigstill.de> wrote:

> I have also tried to build a kernel and root filesystem for Zynq but the kernel
> gets stuck when booting, regardless if on the ZC702 board or on Qemu. I tried
> Poky denzil and Poky danny.
>
> Also the alternate meta-zynq layer from git.yoctoproject.org shows the same
> behaviour.
>
> These are the last console messages which I get:
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 01000000 ...
>   Image Name:   Linux-3.2.11-yocto-standard
>   Created:      2012-12-04  20:07:37 UTC
>   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>   Data Size:    2997472 Bytes = 2.9 MiB
>   Load Address: 00008000
>   Entry Point:  00008000
>   Verifying Checksum ... OK
> ## Flattened Device Tree blob at 01a80000
>   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x1a80000
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>

> Instead of using Linux kernel version 3.5-xilinx I always get
> Linux-3.2.11-yocto-standard which is obviously missing the
> Zynq patches.
>
> meta-zynq/recipes-kernel-linux-zynq contains the following lines:
> LINUX_VERSION ?= "3.5"
> LINUX_VERSION_EXTENSION ?= "-xilinx"
>
> How can I force Yocto to build kernel 3.5-xilinx?

From you messages, I infer that you are using the meta-zynq layer
located here:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-zynq/

For my builds, I used Philip Ballister's meta-zynq layer located here
for the simple reason that it uses xilinx git repository:

https://github.com/balister/meta-zynq

Also, try to ensure that you don't put both the meta-layers in your bblayers.conf file
while building, and ensure that you set machine as follows in your local.conf file

MACHINE ?= "zynq-zc702"

Do let me know how it goes!

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson