[yocto] dhcp-server and init scripts

r10kindsofpeople r10kindsofpeople at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 11:01:41 PST 2012

I seem to have figured out how to add the dhcp-server to my image,
including my own dhcpd.conf and default-server files by creating a
"dhcp_4.2.4-P1.bbappend" recipe.  Everything works, except the dhcp-server
doesn't run on boot.

If I login and run "update-rc.d dhcp-server defaults" on the target, then
it creates the entries in /etc/rc0.d (etc) and the service starts on the
next boot.

The question is, how can I get bitbake to create those entries when it
creates the image?  I'm open to completely different ways of going about
this as well.  Looking at other recipes, I thought this recipe would do,
but it doesn't:

{named dhcp_4.2.4-P1.bbappend}
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

inherit update-rc.d

INITSCRIPT_NAME = "dhcp-server"
INITSCRIPT_PARAMS = "defaults"

# Not sure this is needed, since I'm not adding files, just replacing the
default copies
SRC_URI += "file://dhcpd.conf \
                     file://default-server \
                     "
{end file}

I'm using the 8.0 "danny" release with Crown-bay BSP.  The "layer.conf"
file includes IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " dhcp-server" (among other things).

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer,

John