[yocto] Ubuntu PPA usage in Yocto

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:04:01 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Tim Verstraete
<Tim.Verstraete at medecbenelux.be> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>

> I keep on seeing some interesting software packages into the PPA for Ubuntu
> ... now I was wondering is there a way within Yocto to reuse those PPA
> package (not from the machine with apt-get) but with a recipe?
>

> Take for example the TI OMAP4 … on the TI Launchpad I see:
> https://launchpad.net/~tiomap-dev/+archive/release pvr-omap4-dkms and i
> would like to use this. How should I add such thing in yocto.

well you would start by using PACKAGE_CLASSES = "
package_deb" in your local.conf

that should generate you an image with dpkg as packaging backend

IMAGE_FEATURES += "package-management"

that will add online package management component to your image

build your image and it should have knobs for hooking in feeds if you
know how its done for apt

bigger problems start here where the packages in that PPA may require
different versions of package dependencies than what you get from
yocto image and even
worse they might use a different ABI etc.