[yocto] configuring WiFi in Yocto

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 10:12:21 PDT 2012

When I configured WiFi with Yocto on a n450 based netbook, all I had to
do was get the right drivers for the hardware included in the Yocto 3.2
kernel, then I could use the GUI Connection Manager to configure the
WiFi so the hardware would connect to my WiFi network.

However, I'm now trying to configure a different WiFi on a Cedartrail
system. The card is a Realtek RTL8188CE and the hardware is a DN2800MT
Cedartrail board.  For Cedartrail the current BSP under Denzil is on
kernel 3.0.  Not sure what made the difference, but Connection Manager
does not have an option for Wireless networks.

iwconfig list both lo and eth0, both of course have no wireless
extensions.  I was expecting to see wlan0.  If I do lspci -v, it shows I
have my RTL8188CE hardware connected to the kernel module rtl8192ce,
which was loaded in support of the wifi card along with the other
modules I put into my config fragment file:
CONFIG_RTL8192CE=m
CONFIG_RTL8192C_COMMON=m
CONFIG_RTLWIFI=m
CONFIG_MAC80211=m
CONFIG_CFG80211=m

What does it take to get the wlan0 device so Connection Manger will
recognize it?

Jim A