[yocto] Changing PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel has no effect

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 05:53:58 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Hartmut Behrens
<hartmut.behrens at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've successfully created an image for a Gumstix Overo using the BSP layer
> available at https://github.com/squirly/meta-gumstix
> The MACHINE variable is set to "overo" in the build/conf/local.conf file.
>
> I then change the PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel variable in
> meta-gumstix/conf/machine/overo.inc (which is included from overo.conf) from
> the default "linux-omap3" to "linux-yocto-rt" and set
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_linux-yocto-rt to "3.4%".
>
> Once this is done I execute bitbake -k core-image-minimal.
>
> However, this does not result in the linux-yocto-rt kernel being built for
> the new image. Instead, in the bitbake output I can see a warning informing
> me that multiple providers for virtual/kernel are present
> (linux-dummy,linux-omap3) and that I should set the PREFERRED_PROVIDER
> variable to the required virtual/kernel.
>
> Any ideas how to get linux-yocto-rt built instead of linux-omap3 ?

Did you also set your COMPATIBLE_MACHINE ? Setting that as well should at least
get the kernel building, but unless you also have a bbappend with a
config, or have
a BSP definition you'll probably not build what you expect.

If the layer you are using already has a defconfig, that will be a configuration
start, but als take a peek at the meta-intel layer and the BSPs there.
They set compatibility, and specify a branch that should be built, etc.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Hartmut

thee at its end"