[yocto] adding drivers to the kernel

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 05:05:51 PDT 2012

If I need to add a driver for a networking device that should be in the
3.0 kernel, but seems to be turned off, I usually follow the example in
sections B.2.3 in the Development Manual. When I get to the stage of
running bitbake linux-yocto -c menuconfig, I can search for my device
with the "/" command and search for CONFIG_RTL8192CE and I find this:

Symbol: RTL8192CE [=n] │
│ Type : tristate │
│ Prompt: Realtek RTL8192CE/RTL8188CE Wireless Network Adapter │
│ Defined at drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/Kconfig:1 │
│ Depends on: NETDEVICES [=y] && WLAN [=y] && MAC80211 [=n] && PCI [=y] │
│ Location: │
│ -> Device Drivers │
│ -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y]) │
│ -> Wireless LAN (WLAN [=y]) │
│ Selects: FW_LOADER [=y] && RTLWIFI [=n] && RTL8192C_COMMON [=n]

However, I can't find this device where is should be or anywhere in the
.config file. I've tried just adding the CONFIG_RTL8192CE=y to a config
fragment file anyway and that didn't work. After building the image, the
.config still didn't have the CONFIG_RTL8192CE=y. The 3.0 kernel should
have support for the RTL8192CE devices.

Also if I manual add CONFIG_RTL8192CE=y to the .config file and then
compile and build the kernel, the RTL8192CE parameter is removed from
the .config file after the kernel build.

Any ideas?

Jim A