[yocto] of recipes and packages

Jeff Osier-Mixon jefro at jefro.net
Wed Aug 22 10:15:56 PDT 2012

I tend to think of packages as "ingredients", in keeping with the
cooking metaphor. They have version numbers, just as ingredients in
the refrigerator have expiration dates. The recipes, however, have
their own version numbers, but they are less critical to the success
of the build - maybe my Aunt Agnes has a version of Betty Crocker's
yellow cake recipe, but improved slightly. If I make that recipe with
old eggs, though, it will fail.

In this case, bitbake is looking for the expiration dates on your
ingredients - the version of the package that each recipe builds. With
the list that comes from bitbake -s you can determine whether any of
your packages is the right one.

As for the versions of the recipes themselves, the Yocto Project's QA
and testing process makes sure that each of the included recipes
works, in the sense that it builds the package reliably. You can spice
them up if you like.

Chris Hallinan wrote up a good description of many of the terms used
in the project:
http://blogs.mentor.com/chrishallinan/blog/2012/04/13/yocto-versus-poky-versus-angstrom-etc/

Hope that helps

Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog