[yocto] adding packages in my Yocto

Jeff Osier-Mixon jefro at jefro.net
Tue Aug 21 09:01:21 PDT 2012

Hi - please take a look at the FAQ here: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ

Near the bottom there are some technical answers, one of which is how
to add a single package:

Q: How can I add a package to my project?

A: As with any complex system, the real answer is it depends, but of
course that is not very helpful. The simplest method for adding a
single package to your build is to add a line like this to
conf/local.conf:

   IMAGE_INSTALL_append += " package"

Use your own package name in place of package. Note the leading space
before the package name.
For more information, read this chapter in the Yocto Project
Development Manual
(http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-addpkg).

I also highly recommend trying out the Hob interface, as it makes the
whole system easier to understand. I like to make changes in the Hob
and then examine those changes in the resulting configuration files to
better understand the system at work.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org