[yocto] Documenting the mailing lists.

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 20 14:26:09 PDT 2012

On Monday 20 August 2012 11:43:38 Darren Hart wrote:
> Scott,
>
> We've come across some more confusion about mailing lists recently. I've
> sent a patch against poky to try and clear it up a bit in the source,
> but we should also see about cleaning up the web descriptions of the lists.
>
> We have two pages that describe the lists:

> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/
>
> My first recommendation would be to eliminate
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/community/mailing-lists and replace links to
> it with links to https://lists.yoctoproject.org. This eliminates the
> need to keep the CMS version in sync with the mailman page. The mailman
> page should be considered the master anyway as the Description field is
> taken directly from the list administrative settings.
>
> We should then work to create meaningful Descriptions of all the lists.
> These should still fit on a single line, but I think we can improve on
> what we have. For example:
>
> meta-ti		Mailing list for the meta-ti layer
>
> is not particularly enlightening. Perhaps something like:
>
> meta-ti		Usage and development of the meta-ti layer
>
> If we do this all at once, we can also ensure a consistent language,
> tone, etc. I'll propose something for each list here and ask that
> interested parties comment and correct in reply. Once agreed upon, the
> admins of the respective lists can make the changes (all CC'd)
>
> Current:
> ========
> linux-yocto 	Development list for the linux-yocto*.git Linux kernel
> 		repositories
> meta-ti 	Mailing list for the meta-ti layer
> poky 		Poky build system developer discussion & patch
> 		submission for meta-yocto
> shoeleather 	Neutral Board Lab Mailing List
> yocto 		Discussion of all things Yocto
> yocto-ab 	Yocto Project Advisory Board
> yocto-advocacy 	Yocto Project Advocacy & Outreach AB Subgroup
> yocto-announce 	Announcements from the Yocto Project
> yocto-bsp 	BSP Interest Group
> Yocto-builds 	Build failures and discusion about the build system
> yocto-infrastructure 	Infrastructure
>

> Proposed:
> =========
> linux-yocto 	Development list for the linux-yocto*.git Linux kernel
> 		repositories
> meta-ti 	Usage and development list for the meta-ti layer
> poky 		Usage and development list for the Poky build system
> 		(see README for patch submission)
> shoeleather 	Neutral Board Lab Mailing List
>
> I'm not sure what "neutral" is meant to convey. How about:
>
> 		Discussion list for the Shoeleather embedded board lab
>
> yocto 		General discussion list for the Yocto Project and
> 		development for projects without dedicated lists
>
> I think the yocto list is a bit problematic in that it mixes project
> conceptual discussion, user help desk, and development all on the same
> list. However, I'm trying to clarify what these actually are here - not
> change anything.
>
> yocto-ab 	Yocto Project Advisory Board ???

> [...]

This is all good stuff, I'd just like to mention in case it is useful that I
did update the list in the Reference Manual along with the information on how
to contribute - which includes some direction on where to send patches. This
is in the master version of the documentation but not the version currently
shown on the website - we probably ought to fix that. We really ought to try to
have all of this information consistent if at all possible.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton