[yocto] core-image-minimal: no valid shadow password

r10kindsofpeople r10kindsofpeople at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 10:40:59 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM, r10kindsofpeople
<r10kindsofpeople at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've found that if I take core-image-minimal and add a single package
> (iproute2), I can no longer log in as root, getting the message
> "login: no valid shadow password".  Adding the shadow packages didn't
> seem to help.  Sounds like someone else encountered this back in May,
> but there was no published resolution that I could find.
>
> First tried under a Yocto Git master that is getting pretty old at
> this point, then re-tried with a new download of 7.0.1 with the same
> result.  Building for crownbay-noemgd.  Initially built
> core-image-minimal using bitbake command line, and then added the
> package(s) using hob, build package, build image.  Booting off an SDHC
> card, if that matters.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> John

Update:  When I add iproute2 using IMAGE_INSTALL_append in my
layer.conf and build using bitbake, it appears to be fine.  So it
would _appear_ that the problem is more "hob" and less "adding
iproute2 to core-image-minimal".  If there's something more I can do
to help debug this, let me know.  Otherwise, I'm able to continue my
work so I shall.

John