[yocto] layer.conf: "packages" directory

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 05:34:36 PDT 2012

Hi,

In the Yocto Project Development Manual, section 4.1.2 "Creating Your
Own Layer" it shows an example layer.conf file. In this example, right
before adding the recipes to BBFILES, appears the comment: "We have a
packages directory". The problem is, I can't find a directory named
"packages" anywhere. Is this a historical left-over? Are "packages"
and "recipes" synonymous in Yocto parlance?

Many other layer.conf files also contain this wording too:

meta/conf/layer.conf
meta-fsl-arm/conf/layer.conf
meta-hob/conf/layer.conf
meta-intel/meta-n450/conf/layer.conf
meta-intel/meta-emenlow/conf/layer.conf
meta-intel/meta-tlk/conf/layer.conf
meta-intel/conf/layer.conf
meta-skeleton/conf/layer.conf
meta-xilinx/conf/layer.conf
meta-yocto/conf/layer.conf
poky-extras/meta-kernel-dev/conf/layer.conf

and probably others as well.

Best regards,
    Trevor