[yocto] under what circumstances is BBCLASSEXTEND = "native" required in a recipe?

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Sat Aug 11 12:47:50 PDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> p.s.  i'm still wondering if there's a convenient way to identify
> utilities on the dev host that are candidates for ASSUME_PROVIDED.
> surely a relatively recent version of subversion would be adequate,
> but how would one actually *know* that?

This gets brought up pretty regularly, and the answer is it's a pain
to know when it can be done. Getting a successful build doesn't
necessarily mean you can get away with whatever it was you added to
ASSUME_PROVIDED, because it just means you didn't try to build
something that required X feature that isn't in version Y of the
software. Basically you can arrange something like that, but you'd
never be supported in your efforts, because it could always break
sometime.

For what it's worth, I do something like that in most of my builds,
and it has only rarely caused any problems. I can show you what I use
if you'd like, but again it's buyer^Wbuilder beware :)
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com