[yocto] do_deploy[sstate-inputdirs]

Jim Rucker linux.mrjimorg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 13:03:41 PDT 2012

I've been trying to figure out why I've had such trouble getting my
tmp/deploy/uImage files to update after performing a "bitbake -f -c compile
virtual/kernel", and I've come across something I I don't understand. In
deploy.bbclass, we have:

*do_deploy[sstate-inputdirs] = "${DEPLOYDIR}"*

However, the only place DEPLOYDIR is ever used is as a install
*destination* within
the kernel_do_deploy functions. Therefore, from what I can tell, DEPLOYDIR
is never updated and therefore do_deploy is never called - even if you run
"bitbake -f -c deploy virtual/kernel" (note that I'm using the 6.0.2 poky
release, not top of tree). From what I understand, the best way to fix this
is to make the following changes:

kernel.bbclass:
OUTPUTDIR ?= "arch/${ARCH}/boot
KERNEL_OUTPUT ?= "${OUTPUTDIR}/${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}

deploy.bblass
do_deploy[sstate-inputdirs] = "${OUTPUT_DIR}"
do_deploy[sstate-outputdirs] = "${DEPLOYDIR}

Am I barking up the right or wrong tree here?