[yocto] Problem with BSP supporting different machines

Markus Hubig mhubig at imko.de
Thu Aug 9 07:46:05 PDT 2012

Hi @all,

I'm having some trouble building a BSP supporting two different machines.
The machines in question are the Stamp9g20 and PortuxG20 from taskit. These
machines are just slightly different course the PortuxG20 is basically just
a small SBC built around the Stamp9G20.

You can have a look at my BSP here: http://bitbucket.org/imko/meta-stamp9g20
but take attention that you're selecting the denzil branch...

If I set MACHINE = stamp9g20 in local.conf all went fine, but with
MACHINE = portuxg20 I get a kernel for common-pc instead of
arm-versatile-926ejs ...

Comparing the output of "bitbake -e linux-yocto" for both MACHINE settings
I notice that for stamp9g20 KMACHINE is "stamp9g20" but for portuxg20 it's
"common-pc", which results in these "updateme" command:

| updateme --branch standard/default/arm-versatile-926ejs -DKDESC=common-pc:standard
|  --feature features/netfilter --feature features/taskstats arm common-pc
|  poky/meta-stamp9g20/recipes-kernel/linux/files/hardware.cfg
|  poky/meta-stamp9g20/recipes-kernel/linux/files/non-hardware.cfg
|  poky/meta-stamp9g20/recipes-kernel/linux/files/portuxg20/portuxg20.cfg
|  poky/meta-stamp9g20/recipes-kernel/linux/files/portuxg20/portuxg20-preempt-rt.scc
|  poky/meta-stamp9g20/recipes-kernel/linux/files/portuxg20/portuxg20.scc
|  poky/meta-stamp9g20/recipes-kernel/linux/files/portuxg20/portuxg20-standard.scc

Which again (I think ...) leads to a kernel compile error ...

Unfortunately I was not able to find out why the KMACHINE variable is not setup
correctly with my BSP for PortuxG20 ...

Please can someone have a look? ;-)

Cheers, Markus