[yocto] Unable to get serial console login prompt - PowerPC 440 Virtex 5 processor

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Wed Aug 8 13:35:57 PDT 2012

On 08/08/2012 03:05 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
> These seem like quite different issues, code generation vs. some
> inittab foo... are you seeing this issues with upstream? I've recently
> gotten some inittab cleanups into oe-core for master / denzil / my own
> edison branch + meta-fsl-ppc...

On 08/08/2012 03:05 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:> These seem
like quite different issues, code generation vs. some
 > inittab foo... are you seeing this issues with upstream? I've recently
 > gotten some inittab cleanups into oe-core for master / denzil / my own
 > edison branch + meta-fsl-ppc...

Thanks Matthew.   I need to sort this out with some regression testing.
  The latest master branches of poky & meta-fsl-ppc provides a kernel
that oops while it's probing flash during boot.

With the latest fsl-image-minimal rootfs and a mainline kernel, I get an
init that hangs when it tries to exec getty.

I see that the the "serial8250: too much work for irq42" message comes
from "drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250.c" and that there have been plenty of
patches to this file this year.

I'll chime in again later.

Bob