[yocto] Unable to get serial console login prompt - PowerPC 440 Virtex 5 processor

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Wed Aug 8 06:44:36 PDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 01:27 PM, Elvis Dowson wrote:
> Is serial console login prompt broken on yocto for targets other than
> Intel? Does it work on ARM or PowerPC at the moment, with the latest
> yocto updates as of today?

Hi Elvis,

For my Freescale QorIQ e500v2 target, the use of getty inside init /
inittab has been broken for awhile.  I used to get the hangs you're
reporting, but now I also see the following at the conclusion of init:

serial8250: too much work for irq42

I'm glad you're working this issue, and I'll try to jump in this week.

My workaround has been a hack to inittab to replace getty with /bin/sh -
most of my work is done across the network via ssh to the target, so I
didn't mind ignoring the problem.

Bob