[yocto] Method to use same sstate_cache across 32&64bit machines

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Mon Aug 6 12:52:29 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Venkata ramana gollamudi
<ramana.gollamudi at huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Is there any method exists to use same sstate_cache across 32&64bit
> machines?
>
> Like can we generate 32bit sstate_cache for native packages on 64bit
> machine,
>
> so that same sstate_cache can be used across 32bit & 64bit (with 32bit ib
> support) machines, without a need to rebuild the native packages.

I know you can use the 'setarch' utility to trick your current shell
to think it's running on x86 instead of x86_64 and then it should
build 32-bit sstate-cache (and reuse 32-bit sstate-cache as well) on a
64-bit machine. I suspect there will be a few other issues that are
encountered (such as missing 32 bit libraries) but overall it's quite
doable. Can anyone comment if there is a better way here?

Taking things once step farther and running a setarch with a chroot
and I know things work quite well but that's a lot more involved as
you need a 32-bit chroot environment.

-M

-M