[yocto] Switching between stable gcc versions

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 03:25:41 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Aug 3, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2012, at 11:37 PM, Elvis Dowson <elvis.dowson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     In poky master, the current version of gcc is 4.7.2. If I have a situation, where I need to revert back to using gcc-4.5.1, how can I do this cleanly?
>>
>> Perhaps some of the issues that I'm facing with getting my root filesystem image booting on my Xilinx ML507 development board (Virtex 5 PowerPC 440 processor) might be related the new gcc-4.7.2 release.
>

> I think you should really debug it. such statements are very coarse grained.
> you have to add debug messages to various stages and see where is it hanging.
> may be build a static bash and use that as init and debug the init sequence from there.

I think this might be the best course of action. Perhaps first start with a simple helloworld program, as an kernel boot argument for init=/hello, just to make sure it gets running, and then put init=/bin/sh, and then add some printk statements to see where it is progressing. Or add kgdb support into the kernel and try the eclipse ADT plugin and continue from there.

I guess that might be the best way forward for the long term. Ok, will give that a shot.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson