[yocto] Experimenting with kgit-scc

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at cisco.com
Fri Apr 27 13:18:48 PDT 2012

Hi,

Are there plans in the Yocto roadmap to make the meta/scripts/kgit tools
generally usable?

I like the organization of the Yocto kernel repository and for my
embedded project I'm considering using the Yocto build system along with
a Yocto-style kernel tree instead of maintaining my kernel patches as
recipe add-ons.  The Yocto-style kernel repo could be either a local
clone of Yocto's kernel repo with extra machine-specific branches, or a
kernel.org tree locally post-processed by kgit-scc.

I experimented with meta/scripts/kgit-scc from linux-yocto-dev but the
kgit tools don't seem to be intended for general use yet (e.g. the -meta
files contain hard-coded home directory paths, and guilt-push complains
that guilt-init must be run first).  The official Yocto documentation
says as much, but I was wondering if there are future plans to
generalize these tools.

Thanks,
Thomas