[yocto] rebuilds -- when to do what??

jfabernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:58:23 PDT 2012

On 04/27/2012 11:39 AM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM, jfabernathy<jfabernathy at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Over the past 6 months, I've learned a lot about what I should do to work
>> with Yocto successfully, However, the area of biggest confusion for me is
>> what to do when I want to rebuild something.
>>
>> I generally work from Master repository and when I see significant changes
>> while doing git pull, I try to rebuild one of my projects.  I've tried a lot
>> of the methods:
>>
>> 1.  just bitbake again.
>> 2.  bitbake -c cleanall or -c cleansstate core-image-sato
>> 3.  If I know a recipe has changed, I'll bitbake -c cleansstate "recipe
>> name"
>>
>> Most of the time something fails.  Researching what, is an impossibility to
>> me and much quicker to just delete the build directory and redo it.
>>
>> Is there a good "how to" rebuild?  Or is it the best use of time to just
>> tell users to blow away the build dir. and restart, saving the old
>> local.conf and bblayer.conf?
> Jim,
>
> How does it fail? Which recipe in particular are you working with?
>
> -M
It can be just about any failure from file not found, perl failures,
etc.  Bottom line is it takes me longer to figure out what happened than
it takes to assume I need to start over.  That's okay because that's
only a couple of hours.  For me that's not a big deal, as I'm just
messing with Yocto.  For a customer who is developing a product they may
want a method that always allow the shorted method.  At first I posted
issues and no one had a definitive answer for what when wrong.  And
before I even got the request for submitting more information to help me
solve it, I rebuild from scratch with problem solved.  So my BKM is
start over and go for a 3 martini lunch.:-)

Jim A