[yocto] configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables when

jack woailinux at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:00:07 PDT 2012

On 2012?04?20? 01:54, Andy Gikling wrote:
> [...]
>
> 2.  Once you get a toolchain, make sure it's contents end up in /opt/poky/version/ folder where version is the Yocto version your using.  v1.1.1 is the latest and 1.2 is coming soon.  It is important to know what version of Yocto you are trying to use! (Obviously... but note in the steps below that it's easy to get the wrong version of the Eclipse plugin for Yocto.)
>
> 3.  When downloading the Eclipse Yocto plugin I have found it's easiest to simply download the ...archive.zip version of the Yocto v1.1.1 plugin from this address: http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.1.1/eclipse-plugin/indigo/ - then in Eclipse, when adding that plugin, don't enter a software site address, simply click the "Archive" button (the dialog will look for a .zip file) then point at the plugin's .zip file you download.
>
> 4.  It's easy to miss the step in the ADT manual about how to configure the Yocto plugin once you've installed it.  (Also make sure you've correctly installed all the other add-on software described in the Eclipse setup procedure at the end of the ADT manual.  Note the WinCE software on that list doesn't seem to ever install correctly.  I haven't needed it though - should be able to skip it.)  The ADT Manual tell you to go to Window->Preferences and you'll see the Yocto ADT settings on the bottom of the column on the left.  You should chose Standalone pre-built tollchain if you downloaded it like I described above.  "Toolchain Root Location" should be "/opt/poky/1.1.1" and "Sysroot Location" should be "/opt/poky/1.1.1/targetSysrootFolder" where targetSysrootFolder will change depending on what toolchain you've downloaded.  This is supposed to be a folder that mimic's what's going to be available on the target when the software you're developing is running there.  It includes headers, libraries etc...  Pointing at the right sysroot location is very important.  It will own you if you don't!
>
> 5.  There's a nice 1 liner in the quick start manual after you've opened a new hello world template that's easily missed!  One you've open your Yocto hello world template you need to run the autotools, but this is not supposed to be done from the command line.  If your Yocto ADT plugin is setup correctly, and you've selected the new hello world project in Eclipse's Project Explorer, you will be able to get to the menu option Project->Reconfigure Project.  This runs the autotools for you.  In the console you should see that this completed successfully.  Once it's completed successfully, you should see a Makefile in hello world's /src/ folder.  It was not there before and was generated by calling Reconfigure Project.  Now you should be able to right click your project and build it.

Hi, Andy! Thank you very very much for your help. I have found where the
error is. Just as you describe in your 4th tip. My "Sysroot Location"
was uncorrect. After correcting the sysroot location and creating a new
"hello world" template project,  it works. Besides, your 3rd tip is also
useful. When installing eclipse-plugin, I installing the Plug-in as New
Software and  it took me much time to solve the problem:"
|http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/eclipse-plugin/1.1.1|" not
exist. But your method is very easy, thx!

jack