[yocto] A question about PACKAGE_ARCH renaming

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Apr 18 05:55:48 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 12:45 +0000, Hatle, Mark wrote:
> There is/was a conversion that changed - to _ in the package arch.  And yes this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Let put this really simply. We are not doing this just as the -rc4 is
about to build. If we want to start considering a change like this we
might as well abort the release, start again and slip four weeks.

Why? That dash syntax works fine in opkg and is in use in real world
opkg feeds. This appears to be an rpm only issue. It also only appears
to be directly affecting hob right at this point.

When we filtered MACHINE people complained a lot. When we filtered
MACHINE_ARCH there were more complaints. If you just put the filtering
straight onto PACKAGE_ARCH as well, there will be immense trouble as it
will badly break Angstrom for a start :(.

I'd ask people think about what they're proposing and put it into
perspective.

I believe Dongxiao has a patch which would allow us to work around the
issue in hob for this release and then we can re-assess this issue in
1.3. I suspect the fix is going to be to drop the name mangling in the
core and move it to be specific to rpm.

Cheers,

Richard