[yocto] A question about PACKAGE_ARCH renaming

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Apr 17 08:37:03 PDT 2012

On 4/17/12 1:43 AM, Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> 2012/4/17 Xu, Dongxiao<dongxiao.xu at intel.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am testing beagleboard with RPM, and there is a question I am confused
>> with that PACKAGE_ARCH is renamed for certain packages. For example the
>> "acl" package, whose expected PACKAGE_ARCH is "armv7a-vfp-neon", however
>> in RPM file, the arch is renamed to "armv7a", see
>> "acl-2.2.51-r2.armv7a.rpm". However IPK package still shows
>> "acl_2.2.51-r2_armv7a-vfp-neon.ipk".
>>
>> Could anybody give hint on this?
>
> Hi,
> if applications need to be machine / hardware specific they can
> indicate so by setting PACKAGE_ARCH.
>
> For example I use it for recipes that build different when other
> machine dependent packages are used by them:
> kde-workspace can use the OpenGL ES driver which is machine dependent
> so if it is used I set PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}".
>
> AFAIK the vfp-neon arch indicates that the package uses hard float (or
> "vector floating point") libraries instead of soft float.
> See mfloat-abi at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/ARM-Options.html

Just want to clarify...

VFP indicates it's using the VFP hardware for floating point, but the ABI
remains as the standard EABI.  (adding 'hf' means that it's using the
EABI-hardware floating point ABI instead.  Original EABI is defined to allow
multiple instruction sets, processor units, etc to interact with a compatible
ABI.  While EABI-hf requires vfp support.)

--Mark