[yocto] A question about PACKAGE_ARCH renaming

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 16 23:43:46 PDT 2012

2012/4/17 Xu, Dongxiao <dongxiao.xu at intel.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am testing beagleboard with RPM, and there is a question I am confused
> with that PACKAGE_ARCH is renamed for certain packages. For example the
> "acl" package, whose expected PACKAGE_ARCH is "armv7a-vfp-neon", however
> in RPM file, the arch is renamed to "armv7a", see
> "acl-2.2.51-r2.armv7a.rpm". However IPK package still shows
> "acl_2.2.51-r2_armv7a-vfp-neon.ipk".
>
> Could anybody give hint on this?

Hi,
if applications need to be machine / hardware specific they can
indicate so by setting PACKAGE_ARCH.

For example I use it for recipes that build different when other
machine dependent packages are used by them:
kde-workspace can use the OpenGL ES driver which is machine dependent
so if it is used I set PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}".

AFAIK the vfp-neon arch indicates that the package uses hard float (or
"vector floating point") libraries instead of soft float.
See mfloat-abi at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/ARM-Options.html

> Thanks,
> Dongxiao

Regards