[yocto] Build time data

Autif Khan autif.mlist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:19:29 PDT 2012

> Is there a page somewhere that gives a rough idea of how quickly a full build runs on various systems?

I dont think there is a page anywhere.

This is as rough as it can get on the two machine that I have not
including the time it takes to download the source files.

HP 2.8GHz core i-7 dual core hyper threaded machine with a 5400 rpm disk:

BB_NUM_THREADS = "8"
PARALLEL_MAKE = "8"

core image minimal 2.5 hours
core image sato 5 hours
core image sdk 8-10 hours

A build machine - Core i7-3960X 3.3 GHz - 6 cores hyperthreaded, with
an SSD for build output and a 7200 rpm 6.0 Gbps claiming HDD for
downloads, poky, whatever

BB_NUM_THREADS = "24"
PARALLEL_MAKE = "24"

core image minimal 27 minutes
core image sato 58-62 minutes
core image sdk 110-120 minutes

OS was always Ubuntu 11.10 - xubuntu on HP laptop, server in build machine.

> I need a faster build platform, but want to get a reasonable price / performance balance ;-)
>
> I'm looking at something like an i7-2700K but am not yet tied...

The build machine cost about $3500 or so from tiger direct/newegg

It was well worth it - instead of doing nightly builds, I can now do a
clean build in under one hour.