[yocto] Reconfiguring the kernel

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Tue Apr 10 14:40:28 PDT 2012

On 10 Apr 2012, at 22:28, Bob Cochran wrote:

> On 04/10/2012 04:40 PM, Chris Tapp wrote:
>> I think this is a summary of the steps needed to reconfigure the kernel,based on the instructions in the 6.0.1 dev manual:
>>
>> 1) bitbake linux-yocto -c clean
>> 2) bitbake linux-yocto -c menuconfig
>> 3) bitbake linux-yocto -c compile -f
>> 4) bitbake linux-yocto
>>
>> However, the bzimage in tmp/deploy/images is the same as the one that I had before I executed the above. I'm not sure if the md5sum is the same (will check next time round the loop), but it certainly doesn't seem to pick up the new configuration that I'm generating within menuconfig.
>>
>> If I use 'cleanall' in step 1 (as shown in the manual) then I do get a new image, but at the expense of having to download the kernel branch again (even with a DL_DIR set). Can I get away with just using 'clean' if I do something else as well ?
>>
>> Chris Tapp
>>

> Chris,
>
> Don't you find bzImage under your work directory (<machine>/tmp/work/<machine>-poky-linux/linux-yocto....) ?
>
> I just gave your steps a spin with the beta release, and I do see that the image is missing in my deploy/images directory, but I do find it in my work directory.
>
> I'm just pointing this out in case you're stuck wanting a new image to work with.

Thanks, I did see one there, but it had a date stamp that indicated it was from last Friday and a 'last accessed' date for today. This suggest that it came from sstate and wasn't generated as a result of the build.

I'm just about at the end of a rebuild after a 'cleanall', so I'll have a new image ready shortly. Will have to look at using a local git clone of the kernel so I don't have to wait 30+ minutes for the download to complete each time I build!

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com