[yocto] managing layer priorities

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Mon Apr 9 06:58:49 PDT 2012

On 09/04/12 14:04, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2012-04-09 00:18, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>> On 08/04/12 23:28, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>>> Is there a way to change the priority that a layer assigns itself in its
>>> layer.conf? E.g., I want to add meta-oe alongside of meta-yocto, but I
>>> want it to have a lower priority than the latter. Currently meta-yocto
>>> gives itself "5" and meta-oe "6", I'd like to change this without having
>>> to modify meta-oe/conf/layer.conf, but can't find a way to do this.
>>
>> Never mind, it is possible to override these in the last layer listed in
>> BBLAYERS.
>
> How so?

You can set the various BBFILE_PRIORITY_**** and other variables in the
layer.conf for the last layer listed in your bblayers.conf. The layer
priorities get evaluated only after all of the layer.conf files have
been parsed, so anything that is set in the last layer.conf will be the
final value. I use the Yocto model where (unlike with OE layers) the
layer.conf prepends its layer path to BBPATH, so my custom layer is
last, but I imagine it would be possible to create a fake layer with no
recipes just for this specific purpose.

Tomas