[yocto] Belated experience survey of using Yocto 1.2

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Fri Apr 6 07:58:44 PDT 2012

Q: Which architecture did you choose to build?

A: Very basic tests with default qemux86 and more extensive tests with
mpc8315e-rdb (I have that piece of hardware)

Q: How easily were you able to build an image and boot an image?

A: Qemu was very easy & nice.  For mpc8315, I created a u-boot image to
boot my hardware.  This required some customization of my recipe, which
should probably be included in the README.hardware (since u-boot ram
image is so basic for embedded powerpc).  I added "ext2.gz.u-boot" to
IMAGE_FSTYPES and inherited image_types_uboot.

Q: Is there any surprise to you in the process of doing this Beta
testing? If so, would you please describe it and tell us how you
expected it to work?

A: I was a little confused on why we were told to use the web
documentation and not build & use the current documentation in the
project tree.  I never had the chance to figure out whether & where they
were out of synch, but I did run into a problem when installing ADT and
trying to find the
http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/eclipse-plugin/1.1.1 link,
which didn't exist.

Q: How do you like our HOB interface? Please provide us with your
thoughts and suggestions on HOB interface and functionality.

A: I launched it but decided it wasn't for me.  I'm not a fan of
multiple layers of abstraction.  I am curious as to whether hob includes
graphical visibility tools for the project tree.  I'll revisit this
again later.

Q: Was it easy to find the support you needed to build and boot an image?

A: I didn't have any problems, but I usually rely on searching the mail
lists or the source code when I do have issues.  I did send out one
question about MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS.  It seemed that the
documentation didn't adequately specify when and when not this variable
will cause an error in the build process.

Q: Which Bugzilla reports did you submit?