[yocto] using and auditing kernel config fragments

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 07:00:13 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Tomas Frydrych
<tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add a kernel config fragment to the yocto 2.6.37 kernel
> for BeagleBoard, because I need a driver for a rt2800usb dongle.
>
> For some reason which I cannot work out, the rt2800usb options are
> removed (rather then disabled) from the yocto kernel config, i.e., if I
> run 'bitbake -c menuconfig linux-yocto', there is very little under
> Drivers->Net->WLAN. If I run menuconfig in the devshell, there are lots
> more WLAN drivers available, including the rt2800.
>
> So, I created custom fragment with the appropriate options, which works
> to the extent it gets picked up, but then the options are removed during
> the kernel_configme process and end up in the missing_required.cfg, and
> there is no information I can find anywhere in the logs as to why this
> is the case. Any ideas how to find out what the problem is?

If they end up in missing_required.cfg, it almost always means that a
dependency of the options listed in your fragment haven't been specified
and hence the option tossed out by lkc.

Looking via menuconfig or via the Kconfigs should show you what
the dependencies are, and your .config will show you what was specified
and ended up in the configuration. If dependencies are missing, add them
to your fragment .. and they should make it to the end.

Cheers,

Bruce

> (I am using yocto master)
>
> Tomas