[yocto] Eclipse-ADT-build-error (Lu, Lianhao)

Lu, Lianhao lianhao.lu at intel.com
Thu Apr 5 21:47:26 PDT 2012

Andy Gikling wrote on 2012-04-06:
> Lianhao,
>

> I've looked into this more deeply and I'm pretty sure I've followed the directions in the ADT manual correctly as I've gotten this to work
> before in  ADT v1.1.  I'm having the same problem Lu seems to be having.  To answer your questions:
>

> 1. Host OS? - Ubuntu 11.10 - 32bit VM
>
> 2. Which version of eclipse?  3.7.2
>
> 3. Which version of Yocto eclipse plugin? 1.2.0.2x - I just tried to get it as per the manual but the link on the ADT manual for the plugin is
> broken.  I was able to use the update feature from within Ecplise - this brought me from 1.1 to 1.2.0.2x
>
> 4. Which image do you use as sysroot? core-image-sato or core-image-sato-sdk? - Core-image-minimal
>
> 5. Which version of metadata do you use to build the image? Sugarbay - is that what you're looking for?
>
> 6. How do you install the toolchain? Using adt-installer or extracting
> meta-toolchain tarball? If using meta-toolchain tarball, which version
> do you use? - used the premade tarball from:
> http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.1.1/toolchain/i6
> 86/poky-eglibc-i686-arm-toolchain-gmae-1.1.1.tar.bz2
> <http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.1.1/toolchain/i
> 686/poky-eglibc-i686-arm-toolchain-gmae-1.1.1.tar.bz2>   - once
> extracted, in Ecplise, I point at /opt/poky/1.1.1 for my Toolchain Root
> and /opt/poky/1.1.1/sysroots/ for my Sysroot Location.

You should have sysroot location pointed at /opt/poky/1.1.1/sysroots/arm*-poky-linux/.

> Following the ADT manual closely, I've sourced the ADT env vars with $source /opt/poky/1.1.1/environment-setup-x86_64-poky-linux
>

> Now, I've opened a new C Hello World template project and use Project -> Reconfigure Project.  Unfortunately this fails.  The console
> reads "> configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables" as Lu has seen.  All the other Eclipse requirements from the ADT
> manual have been installed as well.
>

> The config.log shows this snippet as the culprit:

> Thread model: posix
>
> gcc version 4.6.1 20110627 (prerelease) (GCC)
>
> configure:2413: $? = 0
>
> configure:2402: x86_64-poky-linux-g++ -V >&5
>
> x86_64-poky-linux-g++: error: unrecognized option '-V'
>
> x86_64-poky-linux-g++: fatal error: no input files
>
> compilation terminated.
>
> configure:2413: $? = 1
>
> configure:2402: x86_64-poky-linux-g++ -qversion >&5
>
> x86_64-poky-linux-g++: error: unrecognized option '-qversion'
>
> x86_64-poky-linux-g++: fatal error: no input files
>
> compilation terminated.
>
> configure:2413: $? = 1
>
> configure:2433: checking whether the C++ compiler works

> So interestingly, I went ahead and tried to run autogen.sh directly from the terminal with "sh autogen.sh" and this also gives me the same
> error: "configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"
>

> However, when I run this with sudo in the terminal it works.  I can then call "sudo ./configure" from the terminal and that also works.
> Now I have a Makefile in my src directory as expected.  Unfortunately, this project still doesn't build in Eclipse.  I keep getting "no rule
> for make target 'all' "

In terminal, you should do the followings to cross compile. Forgetting $CONFIGURE_FLAGS would bring you into native build, not cross build.
1. source source /opt/poky/1.1.1/environment-setup-x86_64-poky-linux
2. sh autogen.sh $CONFIGURE_FLAGS
3. make;

> I've done all of the above again, fresh, after calling "chmod -R 777
> /home/userName/workspace" so it might not be a permissions problem.
>

> I've run through these ADT steps in the 1.1 version of the ADT manual without any problems.  What changed?  Do I submit a bug?
>

> Regards,
>

> ~Andy Gikling
>
> LasX Industries Inc.
>
> agikling at lasx.com