[yocto] kernel26 'machine feature'

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu Apr 5 14:05:47 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:17:28PM +0100, Chris Tapp wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2012, at 21:10, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
> > On 2012-04-05 14:02, Chris Tapp wrote:
> >> Quite a few machine conf files specify the kernel26 machine feature. e.g., crownbay.conf has:
> >>
> >> MACHINE_FEATURES = "kernel26 screen keyboard pci usbhost ext2 ext3 x86 \
> >>                     acpi serial usbgadget"
> >>
> >> What does this do? It's not listed at http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#ref-features-machine and seems to be at odds with:
> >>
> >> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-yocto"
> >> PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto = "3.0%"
> >
> > I don't think it does anything any more.  I'm pretty sure it used
> > to be used to select which style of kernel module utilities to
> > install (there was a change in kernel module format between 2.4
> > and 2.6), but it seems that's gone now.  At least in the Poky/Yocto
> > tree (oe-core + meta-yocto), there is no active use of this feature.

Yes, Classic OE (unlike OE-Core) used to support 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, hence
the use flag.

> Thanks, I was hoping it was something as simple as that.
>
> Another (possibly related) question - when the kernel built I noticed that
> linux_libc_headers_yocto-2.6.37 was 'mentioned' in the log output. Why was
> this used and not the headers for 3.0.18 ? The host is 2.6.32, so it doesn't
> look like is was for the tool chain.

Those are "user-space" kernel headers for libc. Those usually don't need to
match the exact kernel version, as APIs don't change that often between the
kernel and user-space. Unless you need some specific new API that got added in
the latest kernel...

--
Denys