[yocto] How to change the startup application

Autif Khan autif.mlist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 14:12:48 PDT 2012

>> Hi Autif, thanks a lot for providing the answer here. Since no one is
>> showing any objections here, I updated the wiki page with your answer
>> (https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_change_and_add_startup).
>> Please let me know if there is any suggestions or concerns.
>

> This rather narrow answer is only useful if you are running a MatchBox
> desktop.
> There are many other deployment scenarios which would require a different
> approach.

That is true.

However, All over the Yocto Project's website - the common bitbake
commands for an image is either core-image-minimal or core-image-sato.
(core-image-sato-sdk also uses matchbox).

minimal does not start any app - not counting daemons and gettys

If the user chooses another window manager - they are/should be on their own.

I just assumed that we are not trying to document the init process
(bootloader, kernel, initrd, inittab, init.d etc)

We are trying to answer a less experienced developer to replace the
default window manager with their own app

There is a chance that I am not aware of the default application being
other than matchbox. Can you please provide me some counter example?