[yocto] 1.2 beta testing report

Andrea Galbusera gizero at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 11:43:43 PDT 2012

Experience survey of using Yocto 1.2

Q: Which architecture did you choose to build?

A: qemux86 and beagleboard

Q: How easily were you able to build an image and boot an image?

A: This may be a lightly polarized answer, since my build host was
already setup to work with edison. Anyways building and booting images
for qemux86 was as easy as the Yocto Project Quick Start lets the
reader hope.

Q: Is there any surprise to you in the process of doing this Beta
testing? If so, would you please describe
it and tell us how you expected it to work?

A: The approach to building an image with the new 1.2 version is
reasonably similar (at least the command line terminal based approach)
to the one edison was based upon. So, no particular surprise here.

Q: How do you like our HOB interface? Please provide us with your
thoughts and suggestions on HOB
interface and functionality.

A: It was the first time with HOB for me: heard about it but never
tried before. Looks very promising expecially at simplifying life to
new users. I personaly apprecieted the list of recipes and packages
that gives a more usable overview of what's available for a given
layers setup.

Q: Was it easy to find the support you needed to build and boot an image?