[yocto] Moving angstrom under the yocto banner

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:44:32 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:32:27AM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 04/03/2012 09:25 AM, Martin Jansa wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:01:01AM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> >> results. Whether or not a pair of git clones and some tinkering
> >> can result in the same thing as a poky repository or not isn't
> >> relevant in my opinion. I believe that we need a consistent mode
> >> of validating support for a Yocto Project X.Y release. Now if
> >> that is accomplished by building with the poky repository of the
> >> same vintage or by running some script that pulls the right bits
> >> together independently.... I honestly don't care, but I do think
> >> it should be consistent.
> >
> > so teach setup script something like: poky.sh checkout X.Y (which
> > checkouts whatever parts are needed for X.Y) poky.sh update X.Y
> > (dtto)
> >
> > Which creates the same structure like poky repository has, but by
> > checkouting upstream repositories or using submodules or whatever.
> >
> > That's what oebb.sh and SHR makefile does for master/shr HEADs, but
> > can be extended do it for particular version too.
> >

> This is certainly doable, but it doesn't address the stabilization
> buffer poky provides that I mentioned.

And is it?
OE @ ~ $ diff -rq openembedded-core/ projects/poky/ | grep -v '\.git'
Files openembedded-core/README and projects/poky/README differ
Only in projects/poky/: README.hardware
Only in projects/poky/: bitbake
Only in openembedded-core/: dev
Only in projects/poky/: documentation
Only in openembedded-core/meta/conf: bblayers.conf.sample
Only in openembedded-core/meta/conf: local.conf.sample
Only in openembedded-core/meta/conf: local.conf.sample.extended
Only in openembedded-core/meta/conf: site.conf.sample
Only in projects/poky/: meta-yocto
Only in projects/poky/scripts: lib
Files openembedded-core/scripts/oe-setup-builddir and projects/poky/scripts/oe-setup-builddir differ
Only in projects/poky/scripts: yocto-bsp
Only in projects/poky/scripts: yocto-kernel

OE @ ~ $ diff -rq projects/bitbake/ projects/poky/bitbake/ | grep -v '\.git'
Only in projects/bitbake/: MANIFEST.in
Only in projects/bitbake/: TODO
Only in projects/poky/bitbake/bin: bitbake-runtask
Only in projects/bitbake/: classes
Only in projects/bitbake/: conf
Only in projects/bitbake/lib/bb: fetch
Only in projects/poky/bitbake/lib/bb: shell.py
Only in projects/bitbake/: setup.py

Those changes doesn't look like stabilization buffer.. which is fine we don't need
bigger diff between oe-core repo and poky copy, smaller would be nice.

And "dangerous" changes are stopped to oe-core AFAIK, see e.g. my 13 pending patches...

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com