[yocto] MACHINE_EXTRA_* and MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_* documentation

Darren Hart darren.hart at intel.com
Tue Sep 27 13:02:58 PDT 2011

On 09/27/2011 11:04 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 08:51 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
>> On 09/21/2011 02:29 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>> This is something I've run into frequently and have been putting off
>>> trying to resolve. Hopefully the following will help illustrate the path
>>> a BSP developer might go down trying to use the MACHINE_ESSENTIAL* and
>>> MACHINE_EXTRA* variables. If someone with more knowledge on the subject
>>> could fill in the gaps noted below, I'll be happy to test and work with
>>> Scott to improve the documentation.
>>>
>>> I am unable to discern from the following text in the reference manual,
>>> which variable I should be using to include a firmware package in the
>>> images for a given BSP.
>>>
>>> From
>>> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.1/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html:
>>>
>>> "
>>> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_RDEPENDS
>>>
>>>     List of packages required to boot device
>>> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_RRECOMMENDS
>>>
>>>     List of packages required to boot device (usually additional kernel
>>> modules)
>>
>> As Saul points out, these should be:
>>
>> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_*
>>

>>> MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS
>>>
>>>     List of packages required to use device
>>> MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMNEDS  (<-- typo still present)
>>>
>>>     List of packages useful to use device (for example additional kernel
>>> modules)
>>> "
>>>
>>> From the above, I don't learn anything about what the impact of using
>>> each of these variables is. Which ones add the packages to the rootfs,
>>> which only build them, do they impact the initrd (one might assume a
>>> package required for boot should be in the initrd). The difference
>>> between RDEPENDS and RRECOMMENDS is unclear. Three of the four use the
>>> term "required" while the other uses "useful" in the description.
>>> Neither semantic split (RDEPENDS vs. RRECOMMENDS, ESSENTIAL vs. EXTRA)
>>> can be understood from the available descriptions.
>>>
>>> The firmware I want to add is needed for wireless functionality. This is
>>> likely not required for boot, so I added it to MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS
>>> as it is only needed if the wireless driver is used. This resulted in
>>> the package being built, but not installed. In practice this would mean
>>> that people building the BSP would need to manually add the firmware
>>> package to IMAGE_INSTALL or install it manually later. This strikes me
>>> as unnecessarily complex.
>>>
>>> This was also unexpected given the definition of RRECOMMENDS in the
>>> manual, which would have led me to believe the package should have been
>>> installed:
>>>
>>> "
>>> RRECOMMENDS
>>>
>>>     List of packages which extend usability of the package. Those
>>> packages will be automatically installed but can be removed by user.
>>> "
>>

>> Paul E. explained that RRECOMMENDS differs from RDEPENDS in that if a
> [...]

I pulled master and rebuilt using all 4 options. All 4 resulted in the
firmware packages being built and installed in the rootfs. Either
something changed in master since I tried this last, or my machine was
the victim of a gamma ray event.... sigh.

Nevermind, there is nothing to see here.

Still, I think the discussion of documentation was worth the trouble,
I'll work with Scott to update what we have in the reference manual with
the feedback from Saul, Paul, and RP.

Thanks everyone.

--
Darren Hart