[yocto] Splitting processor and target in BSPs

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Fri Sep 2 08:49:09 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com> wrote:
> However, kernel configuration becomes a little bit more complicated as this
> is done by machine name. A kernel recipe will be needed for each machine
> (e.g. for the different sound drivers), but I can't work out how to do this
> using a base configuration for the SoCs that are shared and then adding
> machine specific parts. I can do it using (for example) a .defconfig for
> each machine, but that would require updates to multiple files to change the
> SoC configuration.
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is, is it possible to have a base CPU
> configuration and add a machine configuration to this ?
>
> I've recently seen discussion of .cfg kernel fragment files. Are these what
> I should be looking at? Are these available in the releases or only in the
> development branch?

I think this is a good solution for you. It's a little confusing to
find were this work is but you can look in the linux-yocto kernel tree
- then the actual cfg fragment stuff on different branches.

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.0/

meta branch contains meta/ which contains a lot of the cfg fragments,
and patches, etc. There is also a document in the git repo as well
which is worth a look.

-M