[yocto] any objection to adding a PREMIRRORS section to the QS guide?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Oct 31 09:01:26 PDT 2011

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:

> Robert,
>
> We do have a question addressed in the Yocto Project Reference
> Manual that talks about premirrors and how Poky finds stuff.  See
> the H.24 section of the manual
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html.
> Maybe this information is a bit too buried to be useful.  I could
> specifically reference that FAQ entry from within the QS in the same
> area that I mention the other "useful" items to consider in the
> local.conf file, such as BB_NUMBER_THREADS, etc.
>
> Scott

  i know about the PREMIRRORS stuff in the poky reference manual -- i
was just toying with the idea that knowing how PREMIRRORS works would
be useful, even for a beginner.

  perhaps i'm not using it properly, but in my case, it's handy since
i have a downloads directory of nothing but tarballs that i've been
accumulating over the last while that i've used for openembedded and
other projects. i'm using PREMIRRORS_prepend to take advantage of all
that content to avoid any unnecessary downloading.  and every time i
*do* end up downloading a newer version of a tarball that i didn't
have, i copy it to that central downloads directory for the next time.
does that make sense?  and, as i said, even beginners should be able
to appreciate taking advantage of local content they may have
collected for other reasons.

  in any event, i have some different ideas for the design of a
beginner's guide i plan on using in some of my own presentations, so i
don't have to inflict all of my ideas on everyone else.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca