[yocto] is there a filesystem issue with kernel 3.0.x on pandaboards?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Oct 31 05:01:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 29 okt. 2011, om 15:19 heeft Robert P. J. Day het volgende geschreven:
>
> >  possibly off-topic but i'm sitting in a fedora/ARM talk right
> > this minute at FSOSS/linuxfest at york u, and the presenter
> > mentioned that when building fedora for pandaboards, they had to
> > back off from kernel 3.0.4 to 2.6.35 because, in that situation,
> > the filesystem had a bad habit of switching unpredictably into
> > read-only mode.
> >
> >  is this a known issue in any yocto context?  again, sorry if this
> > is wandering far afield but yocto on a pandaboard was at the top
> > of my TODO list for this coming week.
>
> I'm not seeing that problem on the pandaboard that's running 3.0.x
> and angstrom. The default in angstrom/meta-ti is 2.6.35 due to
> multimedia acceleration madness.

  i wish i had more info on this.  the topic came up when i was
chatting with the people who run the fedora arm farm at seneca
college, so they're pretty knowledgeable.  the symptom was that after
they installed a fedora ARM build with a 3.0.x kernel on their
pandaboards, when they started pounding on them with massive writes to
the root filesystem, on a regular basis, the root filesystem would
suddenly switch to read-only mode.  when they backed off to a 2.6.35
kernel, all was good.

  if i hear more and it sounds relevant, i'll post here.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca