[yocto] Building for pandaboard

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Thu Oct 27 21:51:55 PDT 2011

On 11-10-27 8:45 PM, Brian Park wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm interested in using Yocto to build linux for PandaBoard. It seems
> there are already patches some where that I can use to build for panda,
> as I found some discussions mentioning PandaBoard patch in the archive.
> But I could not apply it. I'd appreciate some pointers on how to find
> and apply the right patch.
>
> Just trying to apply
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.embedded.yocto.general/2037/match=pandaboard
> as a patch using "git am" command gave the following error. I'm using
> release 1.1 Edison.
>
> briansp at LinuxMint11 ~/poky $ git am < ~/Documents/pandaboard.patch
> previous rebase directory /home/briansp/poky/.git/rebase-apply still
> exists but mbox given.
>
> I'm new to developing for linux and yocto. So, any help would be
> appreciated.

Those same patches are merged into the 2.6.37 kernel tree here:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-2.6.37/log/?h=yocto/standard/pandaboard

So if you do want to use the linux-yocto kernel, you could set
your preferred kernel version to 2.6.37 and you'd get that
kernel and branch for the board.

But like anything, nothing is completely simple, the support in
the 2.6.37 tree was contributed in an effort to add some more board
support to a yocto tested/standardized kernel. There are multiple
sources for pandaboard support, with different functionality (i.e.
deeper, different kernel version, etc), different integration and
different goals. i.e. angstrom and meta-texasinstruments.

To use the 2.6.37 support you'd need a configuration of the machine and
a meta layer defining the userspace. There was a prototype one that
floated around, but it was being re-worked to use layer tooling and not
duplicate effort that is in other layers already.

If you like, I can locate that layer and send it along, or you can
try out the other references I mentioned (others may have better /
more detailed information).

Cheers,

Bruce