[yocto] Proposed roadmap and design for Hob improvement

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 25 11:09:04 PDT 2011

On 25/10/11 09:08, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Yu, Ke <ke.yu at intel.com> wrote:
>>> Seems like with the build packages and build image steps separated you could
>>> skip the build step completly for most packages if we ship or host pre-built build
>>> packages
>>>
>>> -M
>>
>> Yes, current design supports this scenario, i.e. if some packages are already pre-built, HOB will notice that and won't build them again.
>
> It would be nice to be able to skip the package generation if the RPM
> already exists somewhere. This could provide significant speedup above
> what is already provided by sstate-cache. Although other issues might
> need to be solved....

I think this falls in line with the proposed design. If we create the
images from package feeds we needn't build when the package feeds are
already available.

Of course with ambiguous terms like *somewhere* I'm not sure we're
thinking along exactly the same lines but we're definitely looking to
speed up and re-use in as many places as possible.

Cheers,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock